Lovely Ladies

Lovely Ladies

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Brooke September Letters

September 14, 2013 Hola familia! How’s everything going? Good? I’m glad! Let me just say….Missions are HARD! I know it’s worth it though. I feel like there’s something important going on on September 21st…hmmm. Let me think…. Psych! I know what’s on September 21st! Happy Happy birthday, from all of us to you… Guess what? I taught a woman in Spanish!! There was a Mexican woman living on the Indian reservation in Cherokee, which is about 2 hours away from me, and the sisters there didn’t know how to teach her. So they called me up and told me that’s where I was headed for an exchange. I spent 3 days there. I saw a possum! They actually look like they do in the movies. I went hiking in Pisgah National Forest & got stung/bit by something on my leg- talk about annoying. Sorry a lot of this is the same as my emails. They have so many crows here- it sounds super creepy…especially because it’s always foggy. We actually woke up one morning to no fog-unusual! I ate frog legs! They are pretty gross, but at least I tried them. I also tried sushi & Chinese jell-0. I didn’t like either of them. A sister missionary died on Sept 14. Her name was Sister Casper (She was a Senior Missionary in this mission). She just died from heart failure & her husband (Elder Casper) and her grandson (Elder Casper) are distraught. They both went home early. Her grandson (Elder Casper) went home 2 weeks early from his normal departure date. He was actually with her when she died. Poor guy. We have a member here who goes to the college and a bunch of his friends have had questions, so we met with all of them and gave away 10 copies of the Book of Mormon. It was cool teaching a crowd of people instead of just a couple of individuals. We went and saw some waterfalls with 6 Elders. One of them asked if I could cut hair. I wasn’t sure that was allowed, so we texted Sister Irion and she said that President Irion had said it was ok as long as we weren’t in each other’s apartment. Huh. I wouldn’t have thought that was acceptable. Oh, well. His haircut turned out nice. I’ve noticed that EVERYONE has riding lawn mowers here even though all the lawns are tiny. Some people. I really wish I had more time to write. I would just blame my sloppy handwriting on the rush, but it’s just me. I miss music! (Normal music) Church music is good, but I need something that pumps me up. Tell Dr. Peacock that I haven’t missed a day of flossing! He owes me Olive Garden when I get back. I miss dry air. I never completely dry off when I get out of the shower. A lady asked Sister Eckman if I was her daughter! I don’t look that young! Also, we had an 87 year old lady teach us the law of Chastity! She thought we were harlots or something. It was awkward, but funny. I’m in the Hunger Games! It’s really neat to see scenes they used in the Movie. I’m sooo sad I’m missing Catching Fire! Also, I heard that they’re making Pirates 5! It’s called Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men tell no Tale. Ahhh!!! I got a letter from my friend Elder Kunz from my district in the MTC. He’s in Canada. I have been here for ½ a transfer! That’s something to celebrate! I’m so excited for the leaves to start changing color because there are so many trees here! How is everyone? Sorry my letters are so random and kind of all over the place- that’s just how my brain works. Missionary work is such hard work that I’m hungry all the time! I can even out-eat some of our elders. We went out to lunch as a district and I shocked them all! On P-days, when I read your emails, I soak all that information in like an Oreo soaks in milk. I really wish I could regularly write/email Erin. I have so many questions like “what is her area like? What’s her companion like?” All kinds of stuff! I have such a nice tan line on my feet from my shoes- it’s awesome! Its official…I’m sick of country music. It’s all they play in stores and such. Oh well. Also, people here are OBSESSED with Elvis Presley. Go figure. We went BMX biking with our Elders and Elder Flynn (red Hair) biffed it big time. He bit his lip and his face/lip were all messed up. 6 stiches! Poor guy. I am so allergic to cats I think. If I go near one. I start sneezing and my eyes itch. Hopefully I’ll outgrow it while I’m here. Also I’m sick of cigarette smoke- it used to remind me of Disneyland, but now it’s just gross. They have a plant here that was imported from Japan. They brought it over here to help stop erosion, but it’s taken over everything. It looks like Ivy, but it covers entire sections of forest. It’s really neat looking, but it kills trees. It’s because it grows better here than in Japan. The roads here are so windy and up/down that I’m always carsick. I never was in Utah. Hopefully I’ll get used to it. That’s what missions are for! I love you more than all the cobwebs on earth! Life is good living the gospel life! Love Sister Echols (the Brooke one) September 30, 2013 I had more to write you! I read my patriarchal blessing all the time and I still learn new things every time. Everyone here gave me a nickname. It’s “Little Bit” because there’s only a little bit of me. I’m so sick of fried foods! That’s all southerners eat. People always tell me that I have a weird accent. Utahn and proud. I met a lady who lives in Atlanta and I told her to keep an eye out for a certain Sister Echols there. Our recent convert, Melinda made us handmade scarves. She stayed up all night making them. Awww. We were teaching an investigator who’s been being taught for months. She confessed to us that she’s not living the law of Chastity. But, still loves her family- We had no idea what to do or say. It was a titch awkward. (people always say ‘titch’) We keep being told about something called F.E.M.A. I guess something bad is going to happen around October 1st because they’ve been shipping in emergency supplies to NC for a while. They say it could be a government failure, terrorist attack, earth quake (natural disaster), rebellion or anything really. But people here are freaking out and bunkering down for it. People are going crazy…. Like in ‘World War Z’: At least the Lord will protect me if He doesn’t have other plans for me elsewhere. Wow…I’m sick of church clothes. P-day is the best because I don’t have to wear them all day. One of the hardest things about being a missionary is not being able to relieve stress in normal ways like 1. Watching a movie 2. Taking a nap or Listening to my favorite music. I haven’t been able to find a missionary-appropriate stress reliever yet but hopefully I will soon. I wish everyday was P-day. I know that’s a horrible attitude for a missionary to have, but it’s true. I really do say that writing you is the highlight of my week. I’m so tan! I have tan lines and everything! Transfers are in a week and a half. I don’t think I’ll be transferred for another 3 transfers-that’s the pattern here. People here worry about Sister Eckman and I. They tell us to stay away from certain parts of Brevard and Transylvania County, tell us not to travel after dark, and never leave populated areas. It’s kind of weird but nice of the. Where we live smells like rotting flesh because there was a squirrel squished by a car outside of our building. It’s nasty. We met a guy who pretty much worships snakes. His religion messes around with deadly snakes for their religion and he’s even been bitten and has had friends die because of it. But he thinks his is the only true church. Weird. We are having a General Authority come speak to us on Oct. 20! His name is Elder Coorbridge I think. I’m so excited for General Conference! I saw the Relief Society Broadcast and I saw Jessica Kirkby singing in the choir! I had to give a 15 minute training to the Elders in my district about studying the scriptures. I don’t feel spiritual enough to be a missionary sometimes. I feel like I’m left behind in the dust a lot of the time. I think my companion is supers sick of hearing stores about Erin and me and also about the rest of the family. Oh, well. She better get used to it because I have a lot more where that came from. Brevard is great but I don’t think I could ever live in such a small town. They don’t even have a Wal-Mart. But they do have a Wendy’s. So it’s not completely primitive. WOW! Time for a haircut…my hair is back down to where it was before we took off a few inches. And it’s still huge from the humidity. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get used to it. Well, I look forward to your emails and such and I look forward to hearing anything and everything you have to tell me. I can’t wait to have more crazy experiences so I can tell you all about it. Don’t forget about me while I’m gone! How’s the West? How often does Erin send letters…every week? The hearts represent things I love…(Aren’t I creative?) (These leaves are from the Hunger Games (even district12!) Enjoy them! Love Sister Echols (the Brooke one)

No comments:

Post a Comment